Sunday, January 26, 2020

CLARDY & DiSALVO

Jon Clardy's discovery of environmental DNA (eDNA) has opened the doors to recovery of magnitudes more natural products and thus many more potential medicines are discoverable through eDNA...and he has created, with others, the entire new fields of metagenomics and chemical ecology (with Jerome Meinwald). These fields will be incredibly fruitful in the years ahead. In all of this it is clear that Jon Clardy is qualified for a Nobel Prize in chemistry or medicine...but do the Nobel committees know about Jon Clardy I wonder. 

The same can be said about Frank DiSalvo...i.e. he is qualified for a Nobel Prize in chemistry based upon his work at Bell Labs on novel materials creation, and the thermoelectric cooling effect he described at Cornell University and his voluminous work on nitrides and pnictides as potential superconductors and his work on the synthesis of single crystal nitrides for electronic applications and his current focus on fuel cell technology...in all of this it is clear that he is qualified for a Nobel Prize in chemistry, but is the Nobel committee of chemistry aware of Frank's accomplishments. 

Jon Clardy was my Professor for a graduate course in crystallography at Cornell University. I later used much of what Clardy taught me in my own work. Frank DiSalvo was my Professor for a graduate course in Chemistry of the Solid State at Cornell University. I later went on to use many of the ideas and mathematics that DiSalvo taught me in my own work in the Chemistry of the Solid State.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home