Friday, April 24, 2020

A.T. BALABAN

Nearly every scientist has an academic genealogy. Newton has an academic genealogy and Galileo has an academic genealogy. Most academic genealogies emerge from Europe, particularly from Italy and Greece. Oliver Heaviside, the British mathematician and scientist, was self taught and had no academic genealogy. At some point. in 2015 or so, I asked A.T. Balaban why he did not have his name in the MGP...in an email sent to him. He responded to me saying he was descended from Kekule and he sent me a complicated tree diagram in a PDF which he claimed was his genealogy. The PDF did not have Kekule's name in it and instead it was a really confusing tree-like diagram showing a lot of names I had never heard of before as chemists in his academic genealogy. I came away from the experience as confused and still wondering why he was not listed in the MGP...he never answered me on that question. I figured that Balaban has over 65 articles he co-authored in Mathematical Reviews (MR) and that he would want to share that accomplishment with the World. My question to you in all of this story is, "What exactly is A.T. Balaban's academic background?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home